The Driller’s Assistant will assist the drill crew chief in solid stem and hollow stem auger drilling techniques. The assistant will help move, set up and operate drilling rigs and all related equipment to drill holes for geotechnical exploration test borings.
The job is physically demanding, requiring heavy manual lifting and carrying, walking over rough terrain; working around heavy traffic, dust, noise, fumes, moving machinery, and muddy drill sites and working in all weather conditions.
Typical roles and responsibilities
- Assisting in drilling operations.
- Ensure that equipment is clean, maintained and mobilized as directed.
- Loading and unloading trucks.
- Maintaining and expediting field supplies.
- Assist with moving drilling rig and equipment from site to site and set up.
- Operate air pumps, water and mud pumps and equipment needed to correct problems in drilled holes caused by mechanical breakdowns or by harmful natural conditions.
- Connecting and disconnecting the lower parts of the drill pipe when it is lowered into and raised from the hole.
- Catching and recording samples of drilling cuttings to be analyzed.
- Assisting in measuring test boring locations.
- Other duties as assigned by drill crew chief.
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- Must follow and enforce all safety standards.
Valid Texas Driver’s license, preferred CDL
This job operates in a outdoor environment. Extended periods of time working outdoors with moderate to heavy (50lbs+) lifting.
Must be able to walk and stand continuously throughout the day and must be able to lift, carry, push up to 50+ pounds on a regular basis.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday – Saturday, (variable time). Able to work some weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed.
The position is based in our Fort Worth, Texas office. Travel is required throughout the Fort Worth and Texas area.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please call 281-469-3347 and ask for Nora Milne.
GES is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. GES is a Drug-Free workplace with drug screening performed.