FIELD GEOTECHNICAL TECHNICIAN / GEOLOGIST – HOUSTON, TEXAS
The Field Geotechnical Technician/Geologist is responsible for performing field, laboratory and office procedures, tests and analyses and supports project managers for successful completion of projects. This position is responsible for several field aspects of our geotechnical projects and services. Provide field coordination and liaison between different disciplines and between office staff, job site field technicians and the client. This Field Engineer/Geologist position involves hands-on construction engineering experience to perform geotechnical logging, testing, analysis and preparing reports. Perform assignments requiring application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering/geological tasks. The job requires extended periods of time working outdoors in varying degrees of hot and cold weather conditions with moderate to heavy (40lbs+) lifting. Must be able to stand, walk and balance in often irregular and uneven surface terrains such as pavements, concrete, grass, dirt and gravel continuously throughout the day.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Apply standard practices and engineering techniques in specific situations, adjust and correlate data, recognize discrepancies in results, and follow operations through a series of related detailed steps or processes
- Use prescribed methods, perform specific portions of a broader assignment of an experienced engineer
- Assist technical staff and field crews in testing, observations, and collection and tracking of field data gathering activities on project sites
- Perform additional office, laboratory or field studies and duties that may be assigned by the project manager
- Quality assurance tracking and reporting
- Attend project meetings and present specific aspects of engineering assignments and updates
- Assist in plan and specification interpretation
- Assist in subcontractor management
- Assist with construction monitoring, field/laboratory sampling and testing of soil and concrete
- Ensure on time and regular attendance
- Travel is required
- A broad understanding of soil and concrete conditions and construction related issues as they relate to geotechnical engineering and construction material testing (CMT) services
- Thorough knowledge of regulatory standards and design criteria in the specialty area
- Strong field orientation and proven problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and resolve practical problems, keeping all appropriate parties aware of issues and/or risks
- Ability to successfully work within a team environment
- Valid Texas Driver’s License (extra compensation for CDL) and must continue to maintain a safe driving record to fulfill travel requirements of this position
- Must be punctual, reliable and dependable
- Must be able to lift, carry, push up to 40+ pounds on a regular basis
- Applicants must pass background investigation, drug screening and driving record
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel), Google Earth and gINT
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Geology or Construction Management from an ABET/EAC accredited institution
- 2-3 years of progressive experience in Engineering and CMT
- Knowledge of Civil. Geotechnical Engineering systems, calculations, applications, construction methods, practices, and materials
- 3+ years of progressive experience in the CMT and Geotechnical project management
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, preferred but not required
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday – Saturday, (variable time). Able to work some weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed.
The position is based in our Houston, Texas office. Travel is required throughout the Houston and Texas area. Travel may be required outside the state of Texas.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please call 281-469-3347 and ask for Nora Milne.
GES is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. GES is a Drug-Free workplace with drug screening performed.