GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER – CENTRAL TEXAS (AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO)
The Geotechnical Engineer will work with soil, rock, underground water, site, and structural conditions in relation to construction projects. This job operates in a professional office environment with extended periods of time working on the computer using various Geotechnical Engineering software applications. Travel to project sites may require extended periods of time working outdoors with moderate to heavy (40lbs+) lifting. Projects are time-sensitive and client communications requires expediency.
Applicants are required to complete a background investigation, drug screening and driving record review.
Typical Roles and Responsibilities for the Geotechnical Engineer
- Plan, schedule and coordinate small to large size projects.
- Manage field and laboratory services for a wide range of project types.
- Perform and/or oversee geotechnical engineering analyses and evaluations for earthwork/dewatering/excavation support, shallow/deep foundations, pipelines, dams/reservoirs/levees, solid waste, tunneling/micro-tunneling/pipe jacking, geo-environmental, and transportation projects.
- Write engineering reports and prepare contract documents
- Oversee engineering services during construction material testing (CMT) on projects involving deep foundations, support of excavations, pipelines, and tunnels.
- Prepare scope, schedules, and budgets for Geotechnical and Material Testing projects.
- Manage projects, subcontractors, and geotechnical staff on multi-disciplined projects and work within multi-disciplined team environment.
- Communicate regularly with clients regarding ongoing projects.
- Evaluate progress and results obtained, and recommend changes to achieve overall objectives.
- Review daily CMT reports.
- Manage construction material testing projects
- Prepare invoices for construction material testing projects.
- Direct the work of lab and/or field technicians.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and timely project results are required.
- Ability to read, interpret, and comprehend plans, specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must be punctual, reliable, and dependable.
- Capability to obtain the Troxler and NICET certification within 6 months of hire date.
- Great verbal and written communication skills.
- Applicants must pass background investigation, drug screening, and driving record.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word and Excel.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with a geotechnical emphasis.
- Ability to author Geotechnical and Construction Material Testing and Inspection reports/proposals required.
- Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, EIT, or PE considered.
- 3+ years of progressive experience which should include complex field geotechnical projects from subsurface exploration through construction involving soils, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel, and asphalt testing and inspection.
- 2+ years in CMT Project Management
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Able to work occasionally on weekends, holidays and over-time as needed.
The position will be based in the Central Texas region. Travel may be required throughout Texas and surrounding states.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please call 281-469-3347 and ask for Nora Milne.
GES is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. GES is a Drug-Free workplace with drug screening performed.